90’s kids edition: “Tamil songs that made me laugh out loud”

I love Tamil songs! I grew up in Chennai most of my life and like most of my fellow 90s kids + Chennaities, I grew up jamming to the lovely and evergreen songs of Ar Rahman, Ilayaraja, Yuvan, Deva.. and the works. “Puduvellai mazhai, malare mounama, chikku bukku raile, un per solla asai dhan”.. ahh the melodies of the 90s. 

Us 90s kids (I know we’re all nearing or in our 30s, but we’ll still call ourselves kids only) we love *listening* to these songs even today. My husband and I play these songs constantly when we go for drives. We love it. I’m sure a lot of you still predominately listen to the songs you heard growing up. HOWEVER, most of us don’t watch those videos now, right? 

Well, recently, I have started making my daughter listen to these on TV. She seems to also have fallen in love with her parents’ playlist.. she particularly loves “oh baby baby”, “nilavu paatu” and “chinna chinna mazhaithuligal”. Rewatching 90s music videos with my daughter.. it’s been so much fun! These music videos are so sweet and unintentionally funny! 

Here are some videos that made me laugh out loud! 

1. “Oh baby baby”.

I love this song!! Always have. We keep playing it at home now as my little one loves it. The background dancers in this video crack me up! When you watch the video, just look at the background dancers..hehe. Also, there’s one moment where actor Vijay goes around his room looking at 2 lampshades like he’s discovered gold 😅 I laughed a bit too much at that moment. 

Watch it and get yourself a good laugh. 

2. CBI enge 

Why is Surya and his gang of boys dressed in formals in CMBT bus stand? What are his friends carrying in their breifcases? is he asking Jothika out or are they trying to get her to buy Amway products? :P Jo looks as confused as I feel too. This is a sweet video but also silly-cute :D 

3. “Rukku Rukku” from Friends 

Teehee. Where do I start :D I laughed at this video so much. It’s so cuteee! It’s a fully packaged 90s kids Tamil video. We have Vijay, Surya, Devayani dressed in ridiculously cute childish outfit. There are dancers carrying brooms, polkadots, and did I mention surya and vijay dressed like toddler boys and doing shoulder shakes. Also, Vadivelu. Ahhh this video 😅

4. Konja Naal Poru 

I like “thala” Ajith as much as the next person. But, he can’t dance for nuts. This song made me chuckle so much. The robotic arm movements and “exercise” dance is just *chefs-kiss* 

5. Ayyayo Alamelu

Actor vijay is famous for his dance. I’ll be honest, I have danced to “Arabic kuttu” and “jimki Ponnu” with my daughter more times than I can remember. But, look at this young vijay doing his tradition *shake your neck like a kokku* (if you know, you know) step here. I laughed at too many things in this song. The dance, the song itself and the background dancers. Catch yourself feeling low? watch this song and you’ll be ok. 



Comments

Popular Posts