Meditation: Revamped.



I don't know what the technical definition of meditation is, but I know why I need it, why we all need it. For me, meditation is going to my safe space, inside my head. It's leaving behind my worries and stress, even if it's just for a bit, to reset. It's could be doing something that I love doing. It could be going to a place that I find soothing. 
Neither am I  a trained meditation expert, nor am I stupid enough to call myself a wise person. But all I know is this: For me, I have my own version of meditation. When things get too hectic, when I have a bad day, or even when I have something that I'm grateful for, I meditate (in my own way) and it helps me get a better perspective of things. It helps me get in tune with myself. 

Develop your 'own style of meditation':

If you have the time and inclination to learn and perfect the art of meditation, then that's wonderful. But if you are like me and don't really have the time to go to a class, but want to gain the benefits of meditating, I suggest you develop your own style, your own rhythm of meditating.

How do you do that? 
It's quite simple. 

What do you love doing? What makes you happy? Do that. And when you do that, forget the rest of the world. Forget that deadline, forget the harsh words of your crappy boss, forget the stupid comment that someone passed, forget the problems, forget the joy, forget yourself and get lost in the moment. 

Here's a glimpse of my meditation routines: 
Tune out your worries

Music

This is something that can help to a great extent. Music can make miracles happen. It can set your mood right, it can inspire you, it can break you into tears, it can make you dance. So when you find yourself at the end of a rough day, kickback with your favourite playlist, switch off the lights and let the music work its magic. 



Nature is the best therapy 
Walk.
Go for a walk in a park, or just anywhere. Don't think about anything during your walk. With each step you take, try to disconnect from yourself. This will be more beneficial if you walk in a park, or in a green space. Disconnect from your day, and get lost in what is in front of you. Focus on the song of a little bird, on the fallen leaves in your path, on the shape of a tree branch, on the direction of the wind, on the bumps on the road, on the cars the pass by. Just let go of your thoughts, and focus on what's in front of you and walk for half hour or so. At the end of the walk, you'll feel much lighter. 



Blissful by the Beach
The sea
If you're lucky enough to live in a city that's by a river or a sea, or any natural water body, then do go and sit by the sea, close your eyes and just listen to the sounds of the water. This is one of the best forms of therapy. When I go to the beach, even sitting by the water for fifteen minutes can make such a big difference. Dip your leg in the water. Sit in the sand and let the wind play with your hair. Let the sounds of the ocean take you far, far away. Let your thoughts be carried by the waves. 

Meditation isn't something you should do only when you're stressed or anxious. Try doing it everyday, in your own way, in your own pace. Soon you'll notice that you become more equipped, with a stronger mind, to take in tougher situations. You need to meditate to gain perspective. To disconnect, to reflect. Because, if you don't really take time to reflect internally, how will you grow? 

Like I said, I'm not a professional meditation expert. But I know that doing these things, meditating in my own way, helps me. And if you find your own rhythm, your own safe space, it will help you too. It won't take much time, you wont need any training. You just need to find what makes you feel at peace, and spend a few moments in a day doing that. And it'll work wonders and help your mental health. 

/Supritha 










Comments