Why travel?




Travel.......is it really that important? 

Travel opens doors that you've never envisioned. Something as simple as taking a road trip can change some aspects of your way of life or way of thinking. I grew up in a family that loves to travel. My parents have taken me on vacations yearly, or even twice a year sometimes when I was a kid. We used to travel as just the three of us (Mom, Dad and I), or we used to go on vacations with our family friends, and it always used to be super fun! So the importance of travel is something that was instilled within me from a very young age. And by vacations, I dont mean it has to be an elaborate or lavish event. Just a small road trip to a nearby place, or taking a bus to a town/city close-by also falls under the bracket of vacations.

Now, as a kid, vacation time technically meant no homework, no school, happy times with family and friends :D

As an adult, it means so much more now.



It's something that we need to ensure our mental health and longitivtiy.
We need to travel, not just for the obvious reason of having fun, but also to learn to disconnect for a little bit. In our everyday life, we don't really have time to pause and take it all in. But if we don't pause once in a while, if we don't disconnect once in a while, we'll burn out. Just taking two days off, heading off to a new place with your family/friends, can make a huge difference.

To make the most of your vacation, here are some tips (learnt from experience):






--> Learn to minimise using your social media: 

I don't mean you have to cut off completely, but just reduce it for the time that you're out on a trip. Social media is wonderful, and I love it. But, when you're on a vacation, the trip has to be more centred around the experience. You can always hop on to your favourite social media platforms at the end of each night during your trip. But when you're on the road, or when you're visiting places, focus your energy on what's in front of you, be present.






--> Explore:

When you go to a place, do visit the main attractions that the destination has to offer. But, also try to find out the places that are less visited. There's something about taking a hike along a stream, or going to a destination which is completely new. It adds so much more value to the trip. Some of my favourite memories from my vacations have been the discovering places and experiences that were not mentioned in any travel guides... like trying to find a whistling bird in a hill station, visiting a cheese factory and taking part in the cheese making process, going exploring in the forest, going to a fort where no one visits anymore etc. If possible, try avoiding taking a tour bus, or a cab. Try taking your car or bike. (And if your vacation spot is far off, and you're going by train, or ship or airplane, then try to rent a car or a bike when you reach your destination.) It's more fun and exciting when you go about on your own, trying to discover the place.




--> Learn Locally:
The best way of getting to know a new place, its culture and its little secrets, is to learn from the people who live there. Nowadays, we get everything we need from the internet.
Need Directions? GPS.    Want Hotels to stay in? Vacation websites etc.
These are great and they've made our travel experiences super comfortable. But, even today, the most authentic way to learn about a place is to talk to the people who live there. You'll find out the best sweet shop, the best spot to see the sunset from, the best cultural shows and so on from just interacting with the local people.

What types of vacations do I love? -The off-beat ones. 


There are many types of vacations, but my favourite ones are those that are super off beat and unique.
Like taking a spontaneous trip, or going to a place randomly without knowing anything about it, or travelling alone. I have done some of the things mentioned in the doodle, and some I'm yet to do. (I will update you when I'm done with the entire list :D).

How often should you travel? -As often as you can.

I grew up in Chennai, India. I am presently doing my Master's degree in Sweden. I try to travel as often as possible. At home, my parents and I take a family vacation together once in a year. In Sweden, I've travelled more since it's a part of my part time job (I work as a digital ambassador of 'Study in Sweden', so I get the chance to go to different places in Sweden and blog about it as a part of my job).

So, if your job is stressful, or if your study programme is hard, or if you're going through a tough time in your personal life, I advise you to travel more often. Don't go on big trips, or expensive ones. Even a one day trip is good enough to rejuvenate, and trust me it'll make a big difference.


Travel to reset, to explore. Get lost in the journey and find yourself. 

When you immerse yourself fully into travel, you'll come back home happier and evolved, in small ways that will make a big difference.

/Supritha


(The feature image for this blog was made using an Online Wallpaper making tool, Canva)

Comments

Popular Posts